I. Each of the following sentences is given four choices of words or expressions. Choose the right one to complete the sentence and write the corresponding letter on your Answer Sheet. (15 points, 1 point for each)
1. The lighting of the Olympic torch peace and friendship among the nations of the world.
2. There is some in the office about who the new director will be.
3. We were soon bored as we had to listen to the details of his operation.
4. Women's voices only on a few subjects such as beauty contests, sex workers, and all to do with the home.
5. When cleaning your hands, remember to all surfaces, including the backs of your hands, wrists, between your fingers, and under your fingernails.
6. Generally speaking, large paintings can help the feeling of space in small rooms.
7. Alice did not look after him, but slowly wound along the country road down to the south.
8. The rejection of such initiatives is indicating that voters are unconcerned about the environment.
A. in the means of
B. by means of
C. beyond your means
D. by no means
9. The worrying trend of youth smoking has to be halted. Otherwise, many children will it.
A. fall victim to
B. be credited with
C. take advantage of
D. be exhausted from
10. By closing the infected farms we're hoping to the disease to the north of the region.
11. John is a very private person-for most of the time, he, himself.
A. keeps to
B. keeps from
C. keeps up with
D. keeps down to
12. Smith carefully the loose hairs from the shoulders of his jacket.
13. The newly published book bears some striking to last year's bestseller.
14. If any of these symptoms while you are taking the medicine, consult your doctor immediately.
15. The car comes in a of colors, which is not good news for customers who have difficulties in making decisions.